Pre test 1.1 Answers
1. a. interpretation
b. quantitative observation
d. qualitative observation
2. a. Distribute many questionnaires to people at random. Ask them for their birth date. Also ask for personality traits. See if there is a correlation between their “sign” and their characteristics.
3. She did not research the literature and did not form a hypothesis.
4. Solutions and pure substances
5. i. An element’s formula has only one capital letter in it; a compound has 2 or more.
ii. An element contains only one type of atom; a compound has 2 or more.
iii. A compound will lose weight in becoming an element.
6. She should look for a product that no longer pops when ignited.
7. a. element
8. a. false
9. a. no
10. A air
11. a. 1,2 and 4 ( from the cobalt chloride test (pink)
b. 4 ( litmus à red))
12. The compound’s mass will be greater than that of the element.
13. (1) larger amounts of heat absorbed or released (when compared to physical changes)
(2) colour change
(3) formation of gas not originally present
(4) formation of new precipitate