Chemistry 534 Name_________________
Lab 1.2: The Generation of Oxygen Gas
Purpose: The purpose of the lab is to devise a procedure for collecting oxygen gas, to carry out the experiment and verify if oxygen gas was indeed produced.
Chemicals allowed: MnO2 (enough to cover the bottom of the flask). MnO2 is a catalyst that speeds up the breakdown of H2O2
100.0 mL of H2O2, 3% mass/volume
tap water to place inside the metal tank or large beaker
Materials allowed: 100 ml graduated cylinder
250 ml erlenmeyer flask
18 to 20 inches of rubber tubing
rubber stopper for flask
metal tank to serve as water reservoir
3 large test tubes
clamp and stand
Report: (use loose leaf)
(1) Write the procedure in numbered steps, and .....
(2) ...draw your experimental setup.
(3) In the data section record all your observations in a table. Also include important measurements such as temperature measured to 1 decimal place and atmospheric pressure. Leave out interpretations.
(4) In the analysis, use PV = nRT to estimate the maximum volume of oxygen that could have been generated from 100.0 ml of 3 % H2O2 at the measured temperature and pressure.
The equation is 2 H2O2(l) --> O2(g) + 2 H2O(l) The black powder is not included in the equation because it was a catalyst, which is recycled in the reaction.
(5) In the conclusion, briefly summarize how oxygen gas was generated and whether it was actually produced. How did you know if oxygen was actually in the tubes?